Thursday, January 17, 2013

Happy ?


“I was feeling there is more in this life and that my life should have meaning.  For me my life is like a loan given from God, and I will give it back with interest.” Andy Wimmer, volunteer at the Home For the Dying.

Gratitude, compassion, love, these are spiritual emotions and they make you think of things bigger than yourself.  If you only seek your own happiness, it can be a selfish thing. But once you move to the spiritual emotions and begin to worry about the well-being of the world, life grows.  You care about something bigger than yourself.  You can in a way transcend your own life, your own death by caring about these things that are bigger than yourself.

If each of us spent a smidgen of time each day actually practicing to cultivate “happiness” and also other compassionate qualities like compassion and altruism, the world could be a better place and we would be transforming our brains in very positive way.

It’s not about, “I must change my life and cut off my past, and I’ll be a better person.”  It’s not about that – the trick is that you should be authentically you.  We should look at happiness as a skill, which is no different than learning how to play the violin or learning to play golf.

The formula for happiness is not the same for everyone.  But the good news is that the things we love to do, are the building blocks for a happy life. Play. Having new experiences. Friends and family.  Doing things that are meaningful.  Appreciating what we have. These are the things that make us happy – and they are free.  And with happiness the more you have, the more everyone has.

Happy” A documentary directed by Roko Belic

No comments: